For many of us, new year can ignite a powerful yearning for change. We set ourselves big targets and head out full of positivity, determined to achieve our health and well-being goals, often in very short timescales. The problem is that this encourages us to push hard, burning up lots of energy when in fact the season is far more suited to rest, replenishment and steady planning for the months ahead when we will feel much more naturally inclined for action.
There is a different approach that could help you bring about the changes you want without burning yourself out, it’s called soft power planning. Soft power planning involves setting your intentions way out in the future then working backwards to the present. Sounds like an oxymoron? It’s actually really simple. Here’s how it works.
- Grab yourself a cup of tea and a notebook then find a comfortable spot where you won’t be disturbed for twenty minutes. It might help to put on some music, nothing too distracting but something that will inspire you.
- Close your eyes, feel the floor under your feet and the chair underneath you, supporting you. Focus on your breath. Now start to imagine.
- Take yourself 12 months into the future. What is the one thing you want to achieve that will have the greatest impact on your health and vitality? Dream big, this is not the time to hold back. How do you feel at this 12-month mark? What exactly are you doing? Where are you? Who’s there with you? Scribble it all down.
- The next stage is to bring yourself back to the 9-month mark and ask yourself, “In order to have achieved the thing I dreamed of, what was I doing at the 9-month mark?” Be specific, write down exactly what you’ll be doing, where and how you’ll be doing it.
- Repeat this process for the 6-month, 3-month mark and 1-month marks. Take your time and think carefully about what is needed at each stage.
- Finally, you’re back in the present and you have one more important question to ask yourself. “What small but significant step do I need to take today or this week in order to set myself on the path towards that amazing vision I have of my most happy, healthy, vital self?”
One of the best things about this process is that it allows you to dream without limitation, to see your vision fully realised without those nagging voices telling you all the reasons why not. Through the reversal process, you can then put practical, achievable plans in place to create a road map that will take you towards your vision. There’ll be checkpoints along the way where you can review and refuel before you move on to the next important stage.
If this process intrigues you, why not give it a try? New year will be round again before you know it. On January 1st 2021 you could be looking back at all you’ve achieved and asking yourself “Where will I go next year?”
If we can be of any assistance in helping you achieve your health and well being goals, give us a call or email. We’d love to help.